Venue Selection Information
The California Trails & Greenways Conference is an annual 3-day event typically taking place on a Wednesday, Thursday and Friday in April; and rotating between southern, central and northern California. The conference is hosted by California State Parks and the Conference’s fiscal agent, the California Trails Conference Foundation (a tax deductible 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization). The conference attracts between 350-425 attendees, representing a broad range of non-profit and conservation organizations, and local, state and federal agencies. Attendees come to the conference to learn, network and collaborate on matters related to non-motorized trails (hiking, biking, equestrian and water trails). Most attendees require sleeping rooms, and the conference relies heavily on the host facility to provide in-house food and beverage, and assorted meeting spaces. The most significant unique requirement is that the host facility must be adjacent to or near a trail or a trail system.
Generally, the host facility must have or be able to accommodate:
- A ballroom capable of comfortably accommodating all attendees for meals and plenary sessions; with space for a stage,
- At least 4 breakout rooms that accommodate a minimum of 75,
- An office or work room near the meeting and banquet rooms for conference staff
- Registration and reception areas (preferably near the meeting and banquet areas)
- Exhibit space capable of accommodating a minimum of 50 exhibitors (wide hallways adjacent to the meeting and banquet areas, that can accommodate 6′ to 8′ long tables, are ideal). We prefer NOT to have the exhibitors in a separate and dedicated room.
- Quality, healthful food and beverage options. Typically the conference arranges for 5 in-house meals (2 dinners, 1 lunch, 2 breakfasts), two evening receptions with full no host bar, and snacks for 3 breaks.
- Though room pick-up always exceeds the reserved block, commitments for sleeping room blocks generally run:
- Tuesday night = 20
- Wednesday night = 65
- Thursday night = 65
- Friday night = 20
- A hospitality suite capable of accommodating 75 on Wednesday and Thursday evening
- Technologically current, with internet access complimentary to sleeping rooms and available in the meeting rooms.
- For further details about the California Trails & Greenways Conference you may log onto the conference website or contact the California State Parks’ Statewide Trails Manager or by phone at 916.324.0322.